I stay in motel rooms about a hundred nights a year, almost entirely at my own expense, so I try to keep my cost down to around $50 and am not picky at all. In fact, I have seldom written a negative review of a motel, but I will in this case!
My wife and I visit our son in Battle Creek every summer for a few days. This year we chose America's Best Value because it [allegedly] has a swimming pool and is close to our son's apartment.
I will first list the things I liked about it (it's a short list):
(1) the lighting in the bathroom was very good
(2) the location was very convenient for restaurants, shopping, movies, and (as I've mentioned) our son's residence
So much for the positives.
Now for the negatives:
(1) The swimming pool was under renovation, though it is still pictured on the website
(2) The outside looks quite rundown
(3) The inside of the room was *very* basic, including few surfaces to put things on
(4) No nightstand on one side of the bed
(5) The shallowest motel desk I've ever seen
(6) Poor Wi-fi
(7) Few TV channels and lousy reception
(8) No breakfast
(9) No maid service during our three-day stay!
(10) Many undesirable residents, seemingly long-term, partying and making noise late at night
This place would have been marginally worth staying at for $40 a night (like Rodeway Inn across the road) but at $59 it is a rip-off. We will not stay here again.